Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Walleyes Hard To Find

The early May Houghton Lake Walleyes have been putting up a good defence against every fishing trick I have. I made it out fishing Friday evening (5-4) with two of my friends and once again had the pleasure of dealing with a gusty NE wind. Once we made it out of the South boat launch we headed directly to the East bay to avoid and started jigging the front weed bed directly north of the Pressure Crack Bar. Right off the bat we were hooking pike as normal, but we were picking up some legal sized fish with one being 27".

We continued to work from 8 - 12 FOW and found a majority of our fish were in 10 FOW suspended one foot off of the bottom. After two hours of pike jigging and mapping out the structure we setup to troll. I setup four rods, two with Rapala tail dancers 8' running depth and two with varying lures. After two hours of trolling we landed seventeen disaster pike (line tangles) and no walleyes. The pike were killing any lure with blue and our favorite Blue Diamond tail dancer was the best producer for pike action.

I'm heading back up to Houghton Lake on Thursday and I'm heading to the East bay to continue to work the weeds in 10 FOW. I'm hoping for a normal day with no wind...

Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment