Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Houghton Lake Fishing Report 5/18/11

First Walleye 7.5 FOW South Shore


Undersized Walleye 9 FOW North of the Heights Marina

Fished by myself after work from 7pm - 9:30pm and hooked six walleyes and four keepers.  My original plan was to fish the West shore, but the NE wind kept me contained to the South shore all evening.  I started fishing directly out of the South DNR launch and hooked my first fish just past the Elks club.  I spent an hour and a half fishing the South shore, hooked two walleyes, three pike, and one bass.  My next stop was the weed edge East of Lyman's where I started my troll North.  On my first pass I fished in close and didn't hook anything.  On the return back I started in 10 FOW and worked into 7.5 FOW hooking four walleyes along the way.  I wanted to fish later, but I had an early meeting I needed to prepare for, so I don't have any report on the late bite.  The water temp was 57 F when I arrived which is where it was last Tuesday. 

So far this year I've caught 90% of my fish in three locations which is odd for HL.  On the South shore I have an area about 60 yards long and 30 yards wide that I've hooked over twenty walleyes.  Spot two is a bit smaller and is just West of the Elks in 7 FOW.  Spot three is the area in front of the Heights Marina from 4 to 8 FOW which has produced twelve walleyes.  Overall most fish are 13 to 17 inches with the majority being undersized.  I'm looking forward to some better weather and calmer winds so I can get out to fish the East Bay and North Shore where I'm hoping the bigger fish are hanging out. 

Good Luck..

Fishing Report From Matt 5/20:

Well so far for today we started out trolling the south and west sides with limited success. Only boated 1 or 2 walleye trolling. After a lil thought we decided to still fish leaches under slip bobbers around weed beds we marked trolling. We ended up boating 20 walleye. 19 of which were 14 3/4" and 15 hammer handle pike. Overall, its been a blast so far. Thanks again man, were are still deciding if we wanna troll tonight, since I also boated one heck of a sun burn this afternoon. Lol. Thanks again man.


-Matt
Keeper Walleye 9 FOW in Front of the
Heights Marina.  Rapala Shad Rap 40 Foot back.


South Shore 7 FOW.