Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Houghton Lake Fishing Report 5/18/11

First Walleye 7.5 FOW South Shore


Undersized Walleye 9 FOW North of the Heights Marina

Fished by myself after work from 7pm - 9:30pm and hooked six walleyes and four keepers.  My original plan was to fish the West shore, but the NE wind kept me contained to the South shore all evening.  I started fishing directly out of the South DNR launch and hooked my first fish just past the Elks club.  I spent an hour and a half fishing the South shore, hooked two walleyes, three pike, and one bass.  My next stop was the weed edge East of Lyman's where I started my troll North.  On my first pass I fished in close and didn't hook anything.  On the return back I started in 10 FOW and worked into 7.5 FOW hooking four walleyes along the way.  I wanted to fish later, but I had an early meeting I needed to prepare for, so I don't have any report on the late bite.  The water temp was 57 F when I arrived which is where it was last Tuesday. 

So far this year I've caught 90% of my fish in three locations which is odd for HL.  On the South shore I have an area about 60 yards long and 30 yards wide that I've hooked over twenty walleyes.  Spot two is a bit smaller and is just West of the Elks in 7 FOW.  Spot three is the area in front of the Heights Marina from 4 to 8 FOW which has produced twelve walleyes.  Overall most fish are 13 to 17 inches with the majority being undersized.  I'm looking forward to some better weather and calmer winds so I can get out to fish the East Bay and North Shore where I'm hoping the bigger fish are hanging out. 

Good Luck..

Fishing Report From Matt 5/20:

Well so far for today we started out trolling the south and west sides with limited success. Only boated 1 or 2 walleye trolling. After a lil thought we decided to still fish leaches under slip bobbers around weed beds we marked trolling. We ended up boating 20 walleye. 19 of which were 14 3/4" and 15 hammer handle pike. Overall, its been a blast so far. Thanks again man, were are still deciding if we wanna troll tonight, since I also boated one heck of a sun burn this afternoon. Lol. Thanks again man.


-Matt
Keeper Walleye 9 FOW in Front of the
Heights Marina.  Rapala Shad Rap 40 Foot back.


South Shore 7 FOW.


2 comments:

  1. Im heading up tonight and staying the weekend. This will be the first time ive been to houghton. Do you have tips or starting place you can share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,

    Some good spots to start:

    South shore from the DNR launch West to Lyman's.

    West shore East out of the DNR launch start fishing in 7 FOW out to 12 FOW. This is very general, but you will find fish all over the area.

    Hope this helps. Email us at hothuntingspots@gmail.com and we can send you some gps locations for HL.

    ReplyDelete