Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Houghton Lake Walleye Report 6/29/10

I made it out fishing last night with my nephew Chachi and his buddy Angelo. When we got to the lake we were greeted by a strong NW wind and cool temperatures. On my last trip out on Houghton we found a good number of walleyes in the East Bay. This trip we headed out into 15 FOW and marked a lot of suspended fish hanging from 6 to 11 foot. We setup to troll our baits down in the fish zone after 45 minutes of trolling we caught our first fish. The fishing action was steady most of the afternoon with the best action happening from 9:30pm till 10:15pm. Best bait was thunderstick jr. dark colors back 24 foot. Overall we boated 23 walleyes and eight keepers with the best fish being 19-inches.



We have started fishing deeper and we are finding more league fish along with a better daylight bite. The shallow game is not as good as it has been in the last three years. I’m not finding a lot of fish in 4 to 7 FOW and the ones I do find are smaller. I will tell you that I found a school of fish in 15 foot of water on my last three trips and after cleaning the fish I found that they were eating larger then normal minnows. I have a feeling that the weed treating last year on HL has changed the minnow behavior and the walleyes are following the minnows just like they always do.


Good Luck…

No comments:

Post a Comment