Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Budd Lake December 9th

The weather has been very cold here in central Michigan and the lakes are freezing fast.
Normally I'd still be bow hunting for a monster buck at this time of the year, but the deer hunting in our area is down right terrible. I have spent the last two weekends scouting deer and I can't find a track. I also have four trail cameras out in the woods and the only pictures I've got are of three bears.


With that side and out of the way it's time to talk about fishing on the ice. We made it out to Budd Lake on 12-9-07 and found 6 1/2 -inches of ice and no fishermen on the lake. I started out searching in 24 FOW on the rock piles and after drilling about twenty holes I didn't find a fish. We moved into 12 FOW and worked along the sandy breaks and found two big schools of perch. I drilled about thirty holes in a sixty yard area and we went to work catching perch.

We were using 2-lb test a small hook, minnow, and one split shot. On Budd Lake we have good succes fishing with natural bait presentations. The perch fishing was on fire from 1:00pm to 3:00pm and we landed over one hundred fish. The best fish was 13.5 -inches and the average was around 9 - inches.





Make sure you check ice conditions before you walk out on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment